Pages

18 March 2024

An unexpected surprise



As I savoured the taste of my extra hot latte before getting stuck into the work on the table in front of me, my glance was drawn to someone walking past the table.

Without needing to look up past waist height, I recognised the walk anywhere. I’d seen those legs walk towards me and away from me often enough. I’d studied them closely, intimately so many times before. 


Yes they were often naked, or in stockings, or trying to master the heels I’d make you walk in for my amusement. But I’d still recognise them as I did now, fully clothed, your tailored suit trousers outlining the shape of your body just as they’d always done. 


I felt my sharp intake of breath as my mind battled with the thoughts of you being here. That in all the coffee shops, in all of the world and in a random decision I’d made to work from there this morning instead of at home, you were here. That we were here. In the same place. At the same time.


I tried to avert my gaze. I tried to stop myself staring. Yet I couldn’t. 


I don’t think I wanted to. 


Not really.


I sat back in my chair, picked up my cup, and savoured the coffee as I watched you walk to the counter to order yours. My heart raced despite how hard I tried to suppress it. 


It had been how long since I’d seen you?


Years. Yes. 


But goodness, it could have been only moments ago. 


My eyes couldn’t break their stare. I drank in every part of you just as I drank my coffee and as you started to turn with your coffee in your hand I knew you’d sensed being watched. And for a few seconds the world seemed to stop. There were no sounds. No people. Just you and I. A gaze locked and an electricity that was undeniable.


Your face changed from a moment of shock, of surprise, to the warmth of your smile as your cheeks began to blush and you lowered your eyes. 


Fuck! 


No matter how much time may have passed, the way you blushed still got me. 


The way you looked at me still made me want to touch you, kiss you, hurt you. Your eyes looked for a signal, to know just as you’d always done, whether it was ok to approach. And as I nodded, just as I’d done so many times before feelings coursed through my body.


You sat opposite me and said hello in an almost gentle whisper, you stopped yourself adding Miss to the hello. I smiled at you and at the fact that even after all this time, you naturally stepped into a way of being. It touched me deeply.


A natural silence.


I knew you were going to wait for me to speak, and so I sat back in my chair, watching you, seeing the reactions of your body, your flushing cheeks, your smiling eyes. I remembered what it had been like to hold your face in my hands, to kiss and bite your lips, to whisper ‘Mine’ in your ear. And as memory after memory flooded my mind, we drifted into a conversation like the years between this and our last had never happened. 


1 comment: