Pages

25 February 2011

I, The Intrepid & Uncompromising Explorer

I read this poem today for the first time and although it is a long time since I have written any of my own (and yes, some may be surprised to learn that I do write poetry at times lol), but this one was simply beautiful.

How I wish I could claim it as my own LOL, it really conveys such wonderful images.  I came across it on tumblr, and while I do not have an account I wanted to share it here.

I, The Intrepid & Uncompromising Explorer, written by Tyler Knott Gregson-  find him in tumblr HERE

His words often very short, but often beautiful. 

Sometimes a little too "soppy" for my tastes at times as so many of his quotes etc are very "love based" lol  Not that there is anything wrong with such (but only in moderation of course! wouldn't want anyone to think I am going soft in my maturing years now would I lol *winks* )

I could spend a lifetime
exploring the galaxies of your skin.
I could chart and map, name and discover
every constellation of birthmarks,
freckles, scars and lines.
Through the telescopes of my eyes
I am memorizing the stars that decorate your back.
I, the intrepid and uncompromising explorer
and you, the galaxy of skin lying inside
the universe of this bed. 

At any given moment there lives on you and me a blanket of flesh,
twenty square feet and six pounds heavy
that separates your heart from mine. 
The you that I touch at this given moment
is changing and the countdown to starting over has already begun. 
The we that we will touch, a month from this day
will be entirely new. With each breath
we shed the fingerprints and residue
of our past as the promise of beginning again
grows silently and stubbornly atop us.

It will be on that new landscape that I explore.
I will row down the rivers of your tears as they
form canyons of laugh lines on the corners
of your mouth.  I will plant a flag,
my flag, on the tallest peak of your perfect lips.
Once done I will stand proud, posing for a photo
that will never be taken.
I will crawl, hands and knees if I must
over the archipelagos of goosebumps that I left
haphazardly in the wake of my travels.

Will I rest in the hollow below your throat?
Will I drag myself across the flat desert
of your stomach and beg for water
or will I float on the ocean of water
as you slip into the bath; your skin the soft sand
of the sea floor?
Perhaps every freckle is a footprint I left behind
every birthmark the remains of a fire I lit
to keep myself warm as night fell across
the geography of your body.

I have the patience, the love and the curiosity
but time is running out. 
The exploring I do this day, the discoveries,
the flags planted and the footprints I leave
will be washed clean as once again you shed
the layers you can no longer carry.
I, the intrepid and uncompromising explorer
will never stop exploring you,
the galaxy of skin and geography of flesh
lying inside the universe of this bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment